Raymond has been on the management faculty at the John Molson School of Business, Concordia University since 2008. His research explores how firms create collaborative environmental, social, and economic value above and beyond what can be done through the actions of individual firms. In particular, he has an in expertise social networks, industrial symbiosis, and sustainability-oriented business model innovation.
DBA (Boston University School of Management)
Areas of expertise
- Corporate Strategy
- Interfirm Networks
- Industrial Ecology
- Industrial Symbiosis
- Environmental Collaborations
- Business Model Innovation
He is the recipient of the 2016 Research Impact on Practice Award in Sustainability from the Organization and Natural Environment Division of the Academy of Management for his 2015 article on creating interfirm and regional environmental and economic value creation through industrial symbiosis, 2014 JMSB Distinguished Emerging Scholar Award, 2012 paper of the year award in Project Management Journal for research on sustainability in construction, 2014 oikos Case Writing Competition Winner for the teaching case on Quebec-based carsharing company Communauto, and 2012 oikos Case Writing Competition Finalist for the teaching case on Quebec-based ecological cleaning products company Bio-Vert.
He teaches corporate strategy, sustainable business, and international engagement in the undergraduate, graduate and executive programs.
His research has been funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, David O’Brien Centre for Sustainable Enterprise, and Centre for International Business. He has published outlets such as Organization Studies, Long Range Planning, Business and Society, Organization and Environment, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Journal of Cleaner Production, Case Research Journal and Project Management Journal and contributed chapters to several books.
Refereed journal articles
- Wassmer, U., Pain, G., & Paquin, R.L. 2017. Taking Environmental Partners Seriously. Taking Environmental Partners Seriously. Business Horizons.
- Joyce, A., & Paquin, R.L. 2016. The triple layered business model canvas - A tool to design more sustainable business models. Journal of Cleaner Production. 135 (1 November) 1474–1486.
- Wassmer, U., Pain, G., & Paquin, R.L., 2016. Comment Choisir Partenaires pour vos Partenariats Environnementaux. Gestion, 41(2): 24-27.
- Walls, J. L., & Paquin, R. L. 2015. Organizational Perspectives of Industrial Symbiosis: A Review and Synthesis. Organization & Environment, 28(1): 32-53.
- Paquin, R. L., Busch, T., & Tilleman, S. G. 2015.Creating Economic and Environmental Value through Industrial Symbiosis. Long Range Planning, 48(2): 95-107.
2016 Resarch Impact on Practice Award, Organization and Natural Environment Division, Academy of Management
- Wassmer, U., Paquin, R., & Sharma, S. 2014. Research on green partnerships: Existing contributions and future directions. Business and Society, 53(6): 754–786.
- Paquin. R.L., Tilleman, S. G., & Howard-Grenville, J. 2014. Is there cash in that trash? Factors influencing industrial symbiosis project initiation and completion. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 18(2): 268-279.
- Paquin, R.L., Etzion, D., Povitz, J. & Gruber, B. 2014. Communauto: A big idea for a big market. Case Research Journal 34(3).
1st Prize - 2014 oikos Case Writing Competition, Social Entrepreneurship Track
- Paquin, R.L. & Howard-Grenville, J. 2013. Blind dates and arranged marriages: Longitudinal processes of network orchestration. Organization Studies, 34(11) 1623 –1653
- Paquin, R.L., Bédard, C., & Grainger, G. 2013. Bio-Vert: Green to what Limit? Ivey Publishing Case 9B12A035
Finalist - 2012 oikos Case Writing Competition, Social Entrepreneurship Track
Reprinted - Pirson, M (Ed.) 2014, Case Studies in Social Entrepreneurship – The oikos Collection (vol 4). Sheffield, UK: Greenleaf.
- Paquin. R. & Howard-Grenville, J. 2012. The evolution of facilitated industrial symbiosis. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16(1): 83-93.
- Herazo, B., Lizarralde, G., & Paquin, R. 2012. Sustainable development in the building sector: The alignment between strategic and tactical management. Project Management Journal, 43(2): 84-100.
2012 Project Management Journal Paper of Year
- Busch, T., Berger, S. G., & Paquin, R. 2012.Taking action in the face of uncertainty: Managing for climate risk. In D. Rigling Gallagher (Ed.), Environmental Leadership, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Shrivastava, P., Paquin, R. 2011. Sustainable enterprises: Addressing management challenges in the 21st century. In S. Jain & B. Kedia (Eds), Enhancing Global Competitiveness through Sustainable Environmental Stewardship. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Paquin, R., & Howard-Grenville, J. 2009. Facilitating Regional Industrial Symbiosis: Network Growth in the UK’s National Industrial Symbiosis Programme. In F. A. Boons & J. Howard-Grenville (Eds.), The Social Embeddedness of Industrial Ecology. London, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Howard-Grenville, J. & Paquin, R. 2008. Organizational dynamics in industrial ecosystems: Insights from organizational theory. In M. Ruth & B. Davidsdottir (Eds.), Change Stocks, Flows and Behaviors in Industrial Ecosystems. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Howard-Grenville, J. & Paquin, R. 2007. Facilitated industrial symbiosis: Network forms and evolution in NISP. In R. Lombardi & P. Laybourn (Eds.), Industrial Symbiosis in Action: Report on the Third International Industrial Symbiosis Research Symposium. New Haven, CT: Yale University.