About the Program:
PhD (Working Professionals) at IIM Shillong is an unique doctoral programme in management for working professionals that envisages to expand the research frontiers of working professionals. This doctoral programme aims to produce graduates skilled in research with both a theoretical and practical understanding of the complex problems facing today’s organizations and management professionals. This programme also provides its participants with an excellent opportunity to contribute to the field of management sciences by offering an interdisciplinary and holistic perspective to defining and solving management related problems in the following domains of management:
- Economics and Public Policy
- Finance and Accounting
- Information Systems
- Marketing Management
- Operations and Quantitative Techniques
- Organizational Behaviour, Human Resources and Communication
- Strategic Management
- Sustainability, Corporate Social Responsibility and Ethics
PhD (Working Professionals) will be able to attain the following learning goals:
- Acquire the knowledge of different functional areas of management and research skills.
- Develop, adapt and implement research methodologies to extend and /or redefine existing knowledge in management domain.
- Disseminate and promote new insight to peers and the community.
- Help industry professionals reconnoitre research oriented careers in educational institutions and /or job enrichment in their own organizations.
Candidates should have:
The above qualification should be from any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956 or, recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
Download Program Brochure
Test Scores and its Validity:
IIM Shillong will consider valid scores of GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE or JRF (NET) for admission to PhD (WP) program. Valid score need to be entered while filling the application form.
The following categories of candidates are to be exempted from standard tests stated above but will be required to produce two reference letters from senior leadership.
- A. Graduates of PGP programs (2 year fulltime) of IIMs or reputed institutions with CGPA 6.5 out of 10 or equivalent (minimum 5 years of post PGP experience). OR
- B. Government employees of Central/ State/ Civil Services/PSUs/Autonomous Bodies with more than 10 years of administrative experience. OR
- C. Teachers from institutions of higher education with last qualification from a reputed institution and minimum 10 years of teaching experience with proven research acumen. OR
- D. Individuals with at least 10 years of rich managerial experience from the non-government sector.
Admission Process for PhD Programme (Working Professionals) 2020
Candidates eligible as above, will be shortlisted based on recommendations of the appropriate committee. The shortlisted candidates will be invited for personal interview (and /or written test /video conferencing if necessary) for final selection at a location decided by IIM Shillong.
The minimum commitment to the programme is 3 years, but candidates are expected to complete the programme in four years and ensure that they complete the requirements of the programme within this stipulated time. In case candidate is not able to complete the programme in four years, they can be given two extensions of 6 months each depending upon their progress
Curriculum and Course Work
During the coursework, classes will be held in IIM Shillong campus. Accommodation and fooding charges will be extra if Campus accommodation is available and is availed by a candidate. The on-campus course work will have three modules in the first year and one module in the second year. First year courses will be having 9 credits distributed over three modules named:-
- Fundamental Courses in Management – I (Module I)
- Fundamental Courses in Management – II (Module II)
- Fundamental Courses in Managerial Research (Module III)
In the second year there will be 3 credits of course work.
- Advanced Courses in Managerial Research (Module IV)
COMPREHENSIVE QUALIFYING EXAMINATION (CQE)
- After the completion of the requirement the candidate needs to qualify the Comprehensive Qualifying Examination (CQE) to proceed to the second phase of the programme.
- The candidate who do not qualify the exam shall be given a second chance to qualify for the second phase.
- The candidate will be required to obtain an overall CGPA of 2.2 or above for clearing the Course work in (Term I, II and III).
- The core courses must be successfully completed and the CGPA of 2.2 needs to be accumulated in a maximum of two years
- After successful completion of the course work the participant will start working on the main research problem of the PhD thesis under the guidance of his/her TSC
- S/he will start preparing a proposal under the guidance of his/her TSC.
- From the second year onwards after successful completion of all the four modules till submission of the draft thesis, the participants are expected to make regular visits. A minimum of four days of visit to the institute in a quarter is mandated.
- The participant must submit progress report forwarded by the TSC chairperson to the programme office every six months.
Third Year Onwards
- The participants are also expected to work towards presenting papers at a conference and/or making publications in research journals approved by the institute.
- The participants will present the draft thesis in an open seminar, called Pre-submission Seminar, after the TSC clears the draft for the same. The draft Thesis will be modified based on comments received from the TSC and the audience of the public seminar.
- The candidate will have to defend the thesis and then submits the duly modified thesis for evaluation. Once evaluated, the candidate will have to defend the Thesis before the examiners to be eligible for the award of the degree.
The total fee for the course is Rs. 5,50,000/-(Rs. Five Lakh Fifty Thousand only) + GST extra.
- Acceptance fee Rs.50,000/-(Rs. Fifty Thousand only) non-refundable + GST extra payable.
- Rs 2,50,000/-(Rs. Two Lakh Fifty Thousand only) + GST extra payable before commencement of the programme in the academic year into which the participant is selected for admission.
- Rs 1,50,000/-(Rs One Lakh Fifty Thousand only) + GST extra payable at the beginning of the second year.
- Rs 1,00,000/- (Rs One Lakh only) + GST extra payable at the beginning of the third year.
- Fees once paid cannot be refunded.
- Caution Deposit (refundable): Rs.10,000/-*
- Accommodation and fooding charges will be extra (as decided by the Institute) if Campus accommodation is available and is availed by a candidate.
*This is a onetime fee payable during the time of Registration
The candidates who go beyond the above stipulated time may be allowed to continue in the programme depending upon their progress and with payment of continuation fee but not beyond 07 years as under:
- After completion of 04 years into the programme an extension of one year will be given subject to a payment of continuation fee of Rs 25000/ every 6 months.
- After completion of 05 years into the programme an appeal to the Director has to be made and such participant may be allowed to continue in the programme on a six monthly extension basis for a period of maximum of two years subject to payment of a continuation fee of Rs. 50,000/- every 06 months.
Beyond 07 years there will be no further extension.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates need to download the application from the IIM Shillong website and carefully go through the programme details, eligibility criteria and instructions to fill the application form in detail before registering. Dully filled in application forms will have to be submitted, to Doctoral Programme Office, IIM Shillong, Mayurbhanj Complex, Nongthymmai, Shillong 793014, Meghalaya on the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to Apply
Doctoral Programme Office
IIM Shillong, Mayurbhanj Complex,
Phone: 0364-230 8039